Monday, March 12, 2007

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...............



First of all, hubby has done it again!!!!! In the interest of reclaiming a corner of our bedroom (previously known as a rather embarrassing mish mash of yarn and books and magazines), he invested in a lovely drawer unit(see above)(from one of our favourite stores- Canadian Tire!). He helped me organize stuff. He even did the dozen or so trips up and down the basement stairs to stash my stuff!!! (Don't worry-we have an elevated bungalow, and the basement is very high and dry). But the drawer unit is for ongoing projects and needles and gizmos. I thought it was a great idea, because the wool would be quite happy in wicker (and there are no errant twigs or nasties that would pull on the yarn). He says I can consider it my birthday present. Works for me! I love you, Sean-it is the perfect gift!

My other major job this March Break (well, other than showing my husband how much I appreciate him, and, um, knitting) is a painting project. "The Kingston Grandmother Connection" is a group that raises funds that go to support African grandmothers. (These are the grandmothers whose children have died of AIDS, and who have then taken in their grandchildren). In the spring, they are holding a big shinding-the main event being an auction of "one of a kind" Muskoka chairs. There are 21 adult chairs, 4 kid sized ones, and a table or two. The deal is this- the association has contacted local artists and such to volunteer their time and services and talents-to do the painting-and I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO DO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I was thrilled. Totally blown away. Anyhow, there is also a big night (in May, I think), that I will be attending. I have an idea for the chair (I will take pictures when it is done), and I also have an idea for some knitting to go with it. So-no worry. But.....what does one wear to such an event????????? I have, in my stash, 3 skeins of Fleece Artist Silk Stream ( 50% wool, 30 % silk, 20% something else-nylon, maybe?) in a rather electric colourway-called Sangria. It is bright pink, with orange overtones. Yeah, I do love me some bright colour. It works well with black, or with white. Anyhow, I tried on a jacket that looked similar to one from "Andean Inspired Knits". And I loved it! I am bigger on top than on the bottom, so I was a bit skeptical as to the way this would look. But it is on of those tricky ones-it actually minimizes some things, and accentuates the fact that one has a waist!
So here is my question-too weird? Not right? (I would probably choose all black underneath it) With a great chain link belt. And, since I am still using my cane, I will have to redo it (the last paint job is looking a bit tired).
Ideas? Suggestions? Please help!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh - I LOVE the Sangria colourway! (though sadly I can't wear red, so I have to use it for gifts or socks.) Since the function is for artists, I think it is a fabulous idea to dress like one! I think you will look smashing.

Anonymous said...

Great jacket! I think it would be lovely for your event. Congrats on being asked.
Enjoy your break!

Diane said...

Can't wait to see the chair you do, the backdrop from the holidays was very cool.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it would look great.

Anonymous said...

Love the cabinet. Lucky you. But the sweater? Now that's definately different girl.