Sunday, January 28, 2007

Hey-a third finished object!


I'm on a roll here!!!!!!! This is the purple Manos sweater. I started out with a pattern from Simply Knit 2-and decided the best part was the inverted pleats. I used about 11 skeins of Manos del Uruguay-in the mottled purple colourway (can't remember the number) and wooden heart buttons from Mission Falls (the source is Cindy Longlade-her ebay name is nana_cindy and she is totally awesome to deal with). I love love LOVE this sweater. I wanted something girly and flirty to wear with a shirt that has some ruffles at the front and on the cuffs-loose, big ruffles- very girly. And I have black velvet jeans to complete the ensemble.

Here are the modifications.......


The sleeves are set in a modified raglan-measure about 2 1/2 inches of normal shoulder line from the neck-and that is where your raglan will start. The sleeve has raglan shaping, and then the top 12 stitches, instead of coming to a point, has a bit of a gather- (slip 1, k2 tog., psso) across the 12 stitches.

I kept the 6 inverted pleats across the back- I just lengthened the body. Really girly.


The front is quite different-I centred an inverted pleat on each front and then worked a princess seam to the waist, and then knit an inch or two, then increased again (a total of 10 stitches decreased and then increased) I can work that many, because my hip measurement is about a full size and a bit smaller than my bust measurement.

And the collar-bigger, wider (I increased 2 stitches per right side row after the first two inches) Then I used a picot cast off.


What do you think??????

Edited later: I also should add that I used the inverted pleat at the top of each wrist, and made the sleeves just a tad too long. If I hate the length, I plan on adding a casing of sock yarn inside each wrist, and running some elastic through the casings. That way I can slide the sleeve up a bit if I need to. I am NOT taking that sleeve off and redoing- I fought long and hard to get that shaping right!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

knitting gal from gaspe said...

your sweater is so nice. .

miss ewe said...

That's lovely, Deb!

Miss Scarlett said...

the sweater is incredible! What a gorgeous job you did. And with all those alterations - very impressive. I love the colourway - just beautiful. Enjoy your new, flirty, feminine sweater!

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb I love this purple sweater! And 11 skeins of Manos? I would DYE to have that. Ugh way waaaaaaaaaaaay outside of my budget. Who did you knock off to get it? (grin) Just kidding there.

Mandy said...

Très jolie, Deb. May we see a model shot f the sweater on you? :D