Saturday, May 24, 2008

My new project



This is a sweater from the new "More Big Girl Knits" book- I just LOVE it!!!!! The designer is Tara Jon Manning, and it is just a wonderful design. The yarn called for (Crystal Palace Creme) I did not have access to, so I went into Wool Tyme (here in Kingston) and found what will probably be my new base yarn (to me, a base yarn is one that I use to design with-my other one is Fleece Artist Silk Stream-it always looks great). Anyhow, this one is Stahl Ole. 51%Pima cotton and 49% fine merino. It actually reminds me a bit of Rowan Wool Cotton (another fave) but without the price tag (this is very reasonable). Ole has similar yardage to the Wool Cotton (difference of a metre I think) I can't seem to find it on the net- but trust me- a really wonderful yarn. It would work for kids' clothes, as well as adults. The colour I bought is a rich magenta pink- with a touch of purple in it instead of the "too bright" tone it sometimes gets. Anne had a pink (like a bright one) and a purple in stock. It has a really nice "hand" to it.
Anyhow, the deal with the sweater is that you knit the band sideways, then pick up stitches on either long side to knit the top (bodice) and the bottom (skirt). Since I am bigger on top, I am knitting the larger size for the top (I just knit the smaller size for the band, picked up the stitches for the smaller size for the top, then increased in the bustline area, with a few more centre back, to make up the stitch count for the next larger size). And then the skirt part will be the smaller size, not adaptations- except maybe length. We'll see.
Off to the Quilt Show with Mom- Ta!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great project - I'll have to check out that yarn too, I love wool cotton blends. I have ordered from WoolTyme on several occasions.

Saren Johnson said...

Wow! That's a great looking sweater. I didn't pick up the "Big Girl Knits" book when it first came out. Now I can't seem to find it locally. :(

Bea said...

This will be really cute!

Anonymous said...

Loving this pattern--can't wait to see your version!!

Cheers, Barbie O. in Montreal

Miss Scarlett said...

Fantastic looking sweater.
The construction sounds fun too.

can't wait to see it finished.

Carol said...

What a lovely sweater! Can't wait to see how it turns out. And I really don't need more suggestions to play with yarn! I just paid my tax bill a few weeks ago and am still diggin g my way out of the hole!

Anonymous said...

I've always admired that sweater. It's such a classic, isn't it? What color are you using?

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would
cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

my blog post; Index.php - IberOgre